When I started the 52 Hike Challenge on the 1st of January 2017, I mainly did it because I wanted to force myself to be more outdoors. This was the main reason, but I also hoped to maybe loose some weight, gain fitness and feel more confident in the mountains.
In one of my last posts I told you about how the challenge was going so far and which additional goals I had set for me. Since I have finished my 52nd hike last Saturday, I think it's time to review all the hikes and to see whether I could reach my goals!
I did my 52 hikes in only 3 countries, mainly in France and Switzerland and I did most of them on the weekends, although I also spent a long summer vacation in Corsica.
In total, I have hiked 609,18km and I think you could say it has really changed my life. I feel much more confident in the mountains, I have improved my hiking skills (which means I feel better in difficult sections), but most important: I learned that, if I work hard for my goals, I can achieve them. Sounds pretty easy, but sometimes it's just good to really see how you achieve your goals and being on top of Noirmont on Saturday, with my medal around my neck made me so proud!!!
Now, I actually wanna know, whether I can go even further, so I will try to add some more hikes this year! #letsgogirls #beyond52
01. Les Praz - 01.01.2017 - 10,8km
02. Refuge de Loriaz - 02.01.2017 - 9km
15. Chalet La Floria - 01.04.2017 - 6,9km
16. Les Diablerets - 02.04.2017 - 6,4km
17. Le Cubly belvedere - 17.04.2017 - 13,6km
18. Col de Soladier - 22.04.2017 - 10,6km
20. Lignon - 07.05.2017 - 11,1km
21. Stockhorn - 21.05.2017 - 17,33km
22. Männlichen - 25.05.2017 - 19km
23. First/Große Scheidegg - 26.05.2017 - 22km
24. Alpiglen/Gletscherschlucht - 27.05.2017 - 16,07km
25. Kleine Scheidegg/Alpiglen - 28.05.2017 - 18,04km
26. La Dôle - 10.06.2017 - 11,15km
27. Gorges de l'Areuse - 11.06.2017 - 11,18km
32. Lac du Touno - 03.08.2017 - 15,83km
34. Chalet La Floria - 13.08.2017 - 6,19km
35. La Pierre-Percée - 18.08.2017 - 8,04km
36. Punta di Manna Mulina - 23.08.2017 - 17,08km
38. Paliri Cabin - 26.08.2017 - 9,51km
39. Passerelle Russulinu - 27.08.2017 - 14,84km
41. Bocca â Stazzona - 29.08.2017 - 9,05km
42. Evisa/Spelunca Canyon - 31.08.2017 - 13,02km
43. Capu Rosso - 01.09.2017 - 8,27km
44. Brunni-Alp - 07.09.2017 - 11,75km
46. Lac Vert - 30.09.2017 - 9,49km
49. Rochers de Naye - 14.10.2017 - 18,82km
51. Chalet La Floria/Sentier des Gardes - 04.11.2017 - 12,42km
52. Le Noirmont - 18.11.2017 - 11,15km
"Minimal standards" & additional goals
For the Challenge I had set myself some minimal standards, as well as some additional goals. To count the hikes for the Challenge I had chosen 4 requirements:
- every hike is at least 1,6km (=1 mile)
- every hike is measured with my GPS, so I will be able to see the profile in the end
- every hike is noted within my hiking log
- every hike includes taking at least one picture of myself and everyone hiking with me
In addition, I wanted to manage three extra goals:
- hike at least 520km during the challenge, meaning the average of each hike is 10km
- finish the challenge before 01.12.2017
- include several hikes that are really challenging for me (climbing sections, high peaks etc.)
Finally I hiked 609,18km, so an average of 11,71km. I finished the Challenge on the 18.11.2017 and I had several challenging hikes included.
So all in all, I would consider the 52 Hike Challenge as a big success. I am wondering, should I do it again next year? Or should I try to find another challenge? My winter challenge will definitely be to learn how to ski...